Where did the party go?


So little man, isn't so little anymore, he just graduated from preschool. No typo there, the pic proves that 5 year olds do get a full graduation with cap and gown and everything that goes with it.  Thinking now that I should have sent out cards so people would have felt obligated to buy me, I mean him, some gifts.


Oh well, it got me thinking.  When you're young, the people close to you celebrate everything you do.  Birthdays are a big deal, walking, talking, even pooping becomes an act to throw a party over.  People will walk up to us while we're shopping, eating, and doing our thing and say, "Oh, your kids are so cute, they're so well behaved!"  Apparently, sitting in a stroller(by the way, the reason they're so good is that the boys are strapped in) and looking cute is a reason for people to stop by and compliment the boys.  So yeah, I guess preschool graduation is a reason to celebrate.  And I'm cool with my son kicking the ball in the wrong goal, I'm just happy he kicked the ball.

But as you get older reality sets in.  The voices that celebrated each achievement in our lives start to become quiet as new voices that criticize and analyze take over.  Not too many people stop me in the mall to tell me how good looking and well-behaved I am anymore.

So if it's been a while since someone has said, "Good-job sport" and gave you a pat on the head, remember that maybe you're just growing up.  And a part of growing up is to start becoming the one doing the affirming.

So I'm no longer a cynic about preschool graduation or soccer where you don't keep score, let the celebration begin.  There's something right about one generation celebrating the exploits of the next, even when it's the small stuff.

0 comments:

Joe Gabbard

I'm a pastor and strategy leader at a great church in Kansas City, MO.  Ronnin and I have been married for over 10 years and we have two beautiful, blond headed boys.  I'm interested in loving my family and being part of a community that impacts the spiritual landscape of our region.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter