me being me

me being me

Have you ever heard someone say something offensive, and then defend their actions by saying, “I’m just telling the truth!” What about the person who offends people by their humor, personality, or rudeness and explains that, “I’m just being myself!” These people leave a trail of hurt and pain in their pursuit of ‘me being me’. The Bible has another description for this type of behavior: stumbling block.

Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 15 that “But by the grace of God I am what I am...” but he also said that, “...his grace to me was not without effect.” God has uniquely created you and His desire is that you would fully become that unique person. But this isn’t a license to say anything, do anything, and hurt anyone all for the purpose of ‘keeping it real’.

Ask yourself if ‘keeping it real’ is actually keeping people away. Not away from liking you or accepting you, but keeping people away from seeing the power of Christ in working in your life.

His grace is powerful, but it works best if it works in you and through you, with the effect being others drawn into a relationship with Christ.

So how do you do both; be yourself and draw others into a relationship with Christ? Paul’s advice is to remember that not only does God have a plan for your life, he has a plan for all of humanity. And the best way to know that you have truly become the person that God has created you to be, is to live a life that’s making an effect on others.

0 comments:

Joe Gabbard

I'm a pastor and strategy leader at a great church in Kansas City, MO.  Ronnin and I have been married for over 10 years and we have two beautiful, blond headed boys.  I'm interested in loving my family and being part of a community that impacts the spiritual landscape of our region.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter