my greatest challenge

my greatest challenge


“What’s the most difficult challenge that you face?” That’s the question I asked a minister a few years ago. He was someone that I respected and looked up to and I wanted to hear what challenges he identified as the most important to overcome. I expected him to explain the challenge of managing budgets, counseling individuals, providing and communicating vision to his leaders; but his answer surprised me: “My greatest challenge is taking time to spend time with God, praying, and reading scripture.”

What is the most difficult challenge that you face? Managing your finances, dealing with difficult relationships, figuring out your next step in life; these are all major challenges. But for many of us, our greatest struggle is the same as this minister’s.

We want to be followers of Christ, but what does that really mean? How do we have a “personal” relationship with someone we can’t see, hear, or touch? These are questions that every authentic follower of Christ must ask.

I don’t have an easy answer, but I’m reminded of that minister’s words: spend time every day praying and reading scripture. I’m fully persuaded that if you put priority in your relationship with Christ, you’ll have greater clarity in overcoming life’s other challenges. Spend a few minutes reading these verses and praying through these four areas.


thanksgiving: thank God for what he’s done and what he will do

“Enter with the password: ‘Thank you!’ Make yourselves at home, talking praise.” - Psalm 100:4


praise/worship: tell God who and what he means to you

“Yours, O Lord, is the greatness and the power and the glory and the majesty and the splendor, for everything in heaven and earth is yours.” - 1 Chronicles 29:11


confession: confess areas of weakness and ask for strength

“He who conceals his sins does not prosper, but whoever confesses and renounces them finds mercy.” - Proverbs 28:13


request: make specific request for others and yourself

“Call to me and I will answer you and tell great and unsearchable things you do not know.” - Jeremiah 33:3


1 comments:

Grannie November 9, 2010 at 5:32 PM  

GOOD STUFF!! Love the writing..you need to put it down in a book, etc. love ya

Joe Gabbard

I'm a pastor and strategy leader at a great church in Kansas City, MO.  Ronnin and I have been married for over 10 years and we have two beautiful, blond headed boys.  I'm interested in loving my family and being part of a community that impacts the spiritual landscape of our region.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter