greatest generation?

greatest generation?


A few years ago Tom Brokaw wrote a book titled, The Greatest Generation. It describes the generation who grew up in the United States during the Great Depression and fought in World War 2. Tom Brokaw wrote, "it is, I believe, the greatest generation any society has ever produced." He argued that these men and women fought not for fame and recognition, but because it was the right thing to do and when they returned to the United States they rebuilt it into a superpower.

I’m not sure if Brokaw’s right or wrong, but he is correct about the sacrifice that generation made for the generations to follow and it’s that same idea that David writes about in Psalm 71:18, “Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, O God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your might to all who are to come.”

That’s the true mark of a great generation: the willingness to honor the sacrifice of the previous generation while sacrificing for the next. It’s not normal but as Peter writes about it in 1 Peter 2:9, he explains that this is our mandate from God.

I have a feeling that Brokaw spoke too soon, and I have a great hope that the greatest generation is yet to be realized. It’s a generation that links arms with the generations before and after for the purpose of demonstrating and rebuilding God’s Kingdom. Not for a nation, a religion, or for a political system or idea, but for the purpose of removing darkness, inequality, and injustice so that we can allow people to embrace the life they were created for: a relationship with Jesus Christ.



0 comments:

Joe Gabbard

I'm a pastor and strategy leader at a great church in Kansas City, MO.  Ronnin and I have been married for over 10 years and we have two beautiful, blond headed boys.  I'm interested in loving my family and being part of a community that impacts the spiritual landscape of our region.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter