Clueless


You ever walk out of a meeting and feel like, "That person just doesn't get it!"  It could be your boss, spouse, kids, coworkers, or whoever you rub shoulders with that at times you'd prefer to rub away.  You go into the meeting hoping to help, teach, or convince the other person to do things a better way.  You know, your way.


A pastor once told me that the key to leading a meeting is be in constant control.  Talk louder and longer, know more than the other person and let them know that you know more, control the subject matter, identify and manipulate the other person's weaknesses to your advantage, and move the conversation to your predetermined outcome.  Yeah, this guy's a pastor!  

I've been in meetings with him and seen him at work on his unknowing prey.  He has the ability to make you feel guilty for things that aren't your fault, can get you to commit to things you don't have time to do, and force you to give in and compromise against your principles.  This guy gave me a better understanding of why Nehemiah and posse wouldn't leave their work to meet with their enemies.  

Now I'm sitting here at my mac wondering if I ever went into a meeting trying to straighten someone out and it actually worked... I'm coming up with nothing.  People I work for, people who work for me, volunteers, even my two sons, do not respond well to manipulation and control!!!

I'm going to let you in a little secret that my wife Ronnin (and Rob Bell) is (are) teaching me - Love Wins.  The more I listen, understand, serve, give, and love, the more God pulls up my tent pegs and expands my borders. (Ok that sounded weird and a little gross, but you get the point.)   I'm exhausted with conversation competitions, boardroom banter, and heckling hoedowns.  I'd rather be the guy that speaks only when he's spoken to, uses words to exhort and not extort, and learns and not lectures.

So I bless you to remember that Jesus saved the world not by words, but but dying and he commands us walk out the same path in our lives.  

0 comments:

Joe Gabbard

I'm a pastor and strategy leader at a great church in Kansas City, MO.  Ronnin and I have been married for over 10 years and we have two beautiful, blond headed boys.  I'm interested in loving my family and being part of a community that impacts the spiritual landscape of our region.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter