First Day


Jace had his first day of school yesterday, but he was most interested in riding the school bus.  Armed with his new Buzz Lightyear bookbag, (which cost more, holds more, and is way cooler than my Eddie Bauer messenger bag), he bravely navigated his first day of kindergarten.  Ronnin and I greeted him as soon as he got off the bus, and I took him out for a celebratory ice cream, which turned into cotton candy and 3 movie rentals as well.  Later that night, we met friends and went out to a Japanese steakhouse.  Jace took a shrimp thrown by our cook to the eye and one landed right on top of Justus's head.  Alas, good times.


Monday, Ronnin and I also took the boys to the zoo for a final fun day before the school year.  The boys rode in their wagon most of the day while I dragged them up and down Everest-like hills as we smelled the elephants, walked alongside kangeroos, got splashed by the sea lions, and scared by the snakes.

Are we taking things way too far?  Are Ronnin and I making a big deal out of nothing?  Maybe trying to relive our childhood through our kids?  

No, it was my parents who taught me how to celebrate the small things in life.  I'll always remember going out to eat with my parents and how they would "oh" and "ah" as the waiter would put our plates in front of us.  My dad would  lead us loudly in celebrating as each member of the family was served their food.  Other tables would stop and turn to see what the commotion was, the waiter would laugh nervously along with us, and we would take turns rolling our eyes as we became the next victim being served our plate.  (Even today, we still perform this ritual, and we're handing it down to our kids as well.)

Growing up, our birthday would include presents, birthday cake and ice cream, and possible a party.  But what would cause us to jump out of bed on the morning of our birthday, rush out of our bedroom, and run throughout the house in excitement, was the birthday chair.  We would run to the dining room to see our chair that mom had decorated the night before.  it would have colored streamers, balloons, a banner with our name on it, and whatever else mom thought of the night before.  It was the highlight of our birthday!  Again, this is a ritual that I'm passing down to my kids.

My parents taught me to celebrate life.  They made me appreciate the importance of creating lasting memories by going out of their way to recognize achievement.  When I received the same trophy ever other kid did in football, they made me feel like I just won the Heisman, when I passed the second grade, they made me feel like Einstein.

So I bless you to go overboard celebrating life.  Recognize, appreciate, and take time to reward the people in your life that you are closest to.  Live life to to its fullest, for it's the best way to respond to God's love for us.

2 comments:

Grannie August 22, 2008 at 4:12 AM  

Congratulations to Jace! We are so proud of you, Ronnin and the boys! We have had some good times...have a blessed day!

Love Mom

Grannie August 23, 2008 at 4:04 AM  

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY JACE!!! Hope Daddy can read this to you. I will call later but I hope you have a
supercalifragilsticexpealdosis day!!!

Beanie

Joe Gabbard

I'm a pastor and strategy leader at a great church in Kansas City, MO.  Ronnin and I have been married for over 10 years and we have two beautiful, blond headed boys.  I'm interested in loving my family and being part of a community that impacts the spiritual landscape of our region.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter