why are you rescuing me?



This is the fifteenth of 21 posts serving as a devotional and prayer guide building up to the launch ofcreativecommunity.tv on Saturday November 6th.

Many of the Psalms were written by David while he was either running from his enemies and hiding, or about to go to battle. His honesty, courage, and dependance on God is what made him a mighty man of God.

In Psalm 18 David summarizes the emotional, physical and spiritual attacks that he had faced. In verse 4 he writes that, “cords of death entangled me, torrents of destruction overwhelmed me”. In verse 5 he says that, “cords of the grave coiled around me, the snares of death confronted me”.

Remember, these verses are being written from a bloodshed battlefield and not an isolated king’s castle.

That’s what makes verse 9 so powerful as David declares that, “He (God) parted the heavens and came down.” David understood that God split the divide between God and man to move on David’s behalf.

Is it really God’s heart to do that? Of course it is, He sent his son as the one time, all covering sacrifice so that the separation between heaven and earth can be eliminated.

And why did God do this and why does He still choose to move on our behalf today? In verse 19 David declares that, “He (God) rescued me because he delighted in me”.

What a powerful declaration! God saves us because he more than likes or occasional loves us, he actually finds delight in us. That changes our entire perspective of God’s love and will for us. Our message of grace and forgiveness takes new meaning when we realize that he takes delight in moving on our behalf.

Read Psalms 18: 1-19

0 comments:

Joe Gabbard

I'm a pastor and strategy leader at a great church in Kansas City, MO.  Ronnin and I have been married for over 10 years and we have two beautiful, blond headed boys.  I'm interested in loving my family and being part of a community that impacts the spiritual landscape of our region.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter