this little light of mine



This is the seventh of 21 posts serving as a devotional and prayer guide building up to the launch of creativecommunity.tv on Saturday November 6th.

“This little light of mine, I’m going to let it shine...” Come on, put this journal down and do the hand motions while you sing, “Hide it under a bushel, NO! I’m going to let it shine.”

That’s a great childhood song that most of us sang growing up in church. I think the words are a little off though. It’s the phrase “this little light” that I take issue with. Why as Christians do we always think that we’re the underdogs, the small, and the insignificant? We marvel at the technology and ingenuity we see all around us, but are content to sing silly songs about how small our little light is.

Our little church, our little impact, our little corner of society, our little move of God; it all makes me think that the problem is we have little faith. Isaiah 58:10 gives us a better description of our light: “if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday.”

Maybe the problem is not the silly song we sang in Sunday School, but instead that we have a small picture of God’s power because we have spent a small amount of our time, resources, and energy investing in the lives of the hungry (no condemnation, I’m just saying...)

So ask God to enlarge your vision, but also be prepared to enlarge your heart by making room for those that are hungry and hurting around you.


Read Isaiah 58: 9-10

0 comments:

Joe Gabbard

I'm a pastor and strategy leader at a great church in Kansas City, MO.  Ronnin and I have been married for over 10 years and we have two beautiful, blond headed boys.  I'm interested in loving my family and being part of a community that impacts the spiritual landscape of our region.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter