walking in the dark



This is the eleventh of 21 posts serving as a devotional and prayer guide building up to the launch of creativecommunity.tv on Saturday November 6th.

How well do you know your own house? Do you think you could navigate around your living room with the lights off? Maybe you’re like me and you have trouble bumping into things even when the lights are on.

On Hwy 70 west of Kansas City, is an area called the Flint Hills. It’s a rural area that’s very secluded. One evening, I was driving through this area and I seemed to be the only car on the road. I looked out and noticed that there weren’t any billboards, houses, businesses, or road lights. Curious as to what total darkness looked like, I turned off my headlights for a brief moment and drove in complete darkness.

It’s safe to say that you wouldn’t ever offer me car insurance now, but the experience was worth it. It was an incredibly odd feeling to be surrounded in total darkness. I could not see light shining in any direction. Of course, I quickly turned my headlights back on and left them on for the rest of my trip.

Imagine living in complete darkness. That’s the description given to people who don’t have a relationship with Jesus in Isaiah 9:2. But it says that with Jesus, “the people walking in darkness see a great light.”

That’s God’s desire for our lives: That we would declare and demonstrate the message of the cross to people walking in darkness and shine a great light.

Our heart for Westport is not to shine a light of judgement or condemnation but instead shine a great light that brings, “life to those in the land of the shadow of death.”

Read Isaiah 9:2-7

0 comments:

Joe Gabbard

I'm a pastor and strategy leader at a great church in Kansas City, MO.  Ronnin and I have been married for over 10 years and we have two beautiful, blond headed boys.  I'm interested in loving my family and being part of a community that impacts the spiritual landscape of our region.

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter